Saturday, August 22, 2015

You Have No Right To Meddle With Our Love!!!


Alden Richards and Maine "Yaya Dub" Mendoza with their signature "Pabebe Wave"
On the second half of 2015, millions of Filipinos tuned in to the longest-running noontime show Eat Bulaga! because of the phenomenal supercouple AlDub -- actor Alden Richards and voice dubbing actress Maine Mendoza, also known in the said variety show as Yaya Dub. Every weekdays people continually watch the 30-minute short soap opera parody called "KalyeSerye" (street series), created within the popular "Juan for All, All for Juan" segment. Exclusively interacting through the show's split screen frame, the AlDub couple are still yet to meet personally for the first time, only communicating by dubbing audio samples of popular songs, films and TV series.

Aside from the two, the KalyeSerye also features various characters played by Jose Manalo, Wally Bayola and Paolo Ballesteros, particularly Donya/Lola Nidora, its principal antagonist. Some of the running gags and storylines throughout the parody include the "Pabebe Wave" (a deviation of a beauty queen wave gesture) between Alden and Yaya Dub, Lola Nidora lobbying for a pairing between Yaya Dub and Frankie Arinoli (one of the secondary antagonists, using the portmanteau "YaKie"), Lola Nidora issuing labor challenges to Alden, the incompetency of Lola Nidora's bodyguards all named Rogelio, among others. The KalyeSerye's main storyline is the Cinderella-like forbidden courtship between the AlDub tandem, with its paramount goal being the first physical meeting between the two, a move previously opposed by Lola Nidora. However, when Yaya Dub was abducted by orders of Nidora's granddaughter Duhrizz (another secondary antagonist), the main villain was forced to team up with Alden and her twin sisters Tidora and Tinidora to save Yaya Dub.

Though many people love to watch the KalyeSerye in the noontime show Monday to Saturday, continuously tuning in to witness how the events unfold, I personally prefer not to watch it. This segment, though popular with the masses, only makes me disgusted and upset with the fact that in every love affair, there are some people who will do their best to prevent these fairytale stories from ending with the phrase "and they lived happily ever after." Seriously, I was before sick of Lola Nidora so bad I wish I could jump in to the scene and give him my patented "Sexbomb Powerbomb" on a flaming table (with an audio sample of Joey Styles screaming "Oh My God!!!" afterwards), but when the character later got a change of heart, my rage had also subsided. It did later happen on September 5, but a big fiberglass wall still blocked their way (How frustrating, isn't it?).

This kind of storyline is used in Philippine movies and soap operas most of the time, though it is also being used in movies and soaps in other countries, as well. This storyline is usually added to the main plot of a love story to add more drama and suspense, because it gives a see-saw effect on the show, especially when aired every weekdays. While the antagonists usually have the upper hand in most episodes, there are some instances that the protagonists succeed in their own plans, which gives the audiences the kilig (giggle) factor. And, as most soaps usually end, the antagonists will accept defeat, and the couple will indeed have their happy ending. But there are still some movies and soaps that have a sad ending to the story, with the intent of having a sudden plot twist that viewers might not expect, ending in their disappointment to the show. But that's how the story must go, so who cares? For me though, that's bullshit.

Most of the time, the common formula in this storyline is having one of the couple being rich or well-to-do while the other is poor, and the usual antagonists are the parents of the rich character. Their common reasons why they disapprove of their child's love to the poor person is the stature in society. Their common fear is that the poor person is taking advantage of their assets or the poor person's social stature will affect their positive views from their peers, which is usually proved otherwise. Because of this fear, they usually mock and insult the poor protagonists for many episodes.

This kind of formula actually happens in real life. Consider my uncle who married a Spanish mestiza. Of course the parents of my aunt disapproved their marriage. But after years of proving themselves they can survive without any financial help from them, my aunt's parents eventually relented, and that my uncle and his in-laws are reconciled and currently in good terms. However, my question is, why must the two suffer in order for their love to last forever?

William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is a classic example of this storyline.

While most storylines have the antagonists in the wrong, there are some storylines wherein the antagonists are in the right, somehow, because their disapproval is reasonable. Just like the former primetime soap Ang Dalawang Mrs. Real (The Two Mrs. Real), wherein Tino Salazar (Tommy Abuel) lost his faith with Anthony Real (Dingdong Dantes), due to the discovery of him having married already with Millet Gonzales (Maricel Soriano), thus disapproving his daughter Sheila's (Lovi Poe) marriage with Anthony.

Myself also has this similar situation with my parents, but money is the typical issue. Whenever I am interested with someone, my parents usually have an initial negative connotation with every girl I meet (not all of them, though), because they fear that the girl might be materialistic, and will love me as long as they treat them all the time. For my parents, money is very important, but not to the point they are considered greedy. They always tell me to save what I earn so that when something important happens that might need additional expenses, I can still withdraw some from the bank. I admit I am a very generous person, and my generosity always led me to dire straits. Now that I am doing my best to mend from my mistakes, the number one quality I am looking for a girl right now is not being materialistic, and is good in saving money.

While I am certain the parents are always thinking what is best for their child, in terms of love life, I think that thinking for the best does not mean they make their child happy. I know some people who always follow what their parents wish them for him/her to be, but they are not happy because they did not follow what is in their hearts. That also goes out to other people who meddle with someone's love lives. Whether reasonable or not, the bottom line is that all of you have no right to disapprove.

As for the lovers, never fear. Just always follow the music of your hearts, because no matter what happens, if you are destined to be with each other, God will make a way to make both of you live happily ever after.

I, the Pooch, have spoken.

No comments: