Sunday, October 27, 2019

No Rights For Jaywalkers

I wanna say something to Mayor Isko Moreno right now.

I have recently watched his latest edition of the Capital Report, and even though I am very happy with the recent developments in Manila, i am still shaking my head in disappointment when I saw a video of people jaywalking despite having a fence built between the lanes, which led to the good mayor joking about putting electricity on the fences.

However, I think I have a better idea on how to eliminate jaywalking.

As most of you are already aware, when a jaywalker is hit by a vehicle and end up dead, the driver will be charged with Reckless Imprudence Resulting in Homicide. In addition, if a traffic enforcer catches one, the individual will surely cry foul stating it will be a violation of human rights, (when it is actually not).

So, to educate the people on using pedestrian lanes, underpasses and footbridges, not only do they enforce their city ordinance regarding anti-jaywalking, I would suggest that the city council will make an additional ordinance wherein any driver who accidentally injures or kills a jaywalker will not be liable to the crime (except when the driver commits a hit-and-run, or driving under the influence of illegal drugs and/or alcohol), as long as the Anti-Jaywalking ordinance is enforced, and especially if there were any proper crosswalks nearby.

In addition, the jaywalker (and his/her immediate family, if died) will not be able to look for damages from the defendant (i.e. the driver of the vehicle that hit him/her) since he/she is the one who committed the wrongdoing. Also, when a jaywalker dies, his/her death must not be covered with life / health insurance.

I hope local government units will take this suggestion into consideration. I highly encourage everyone to share this to your mayor/congressman, and we will see if it will actualy work. I bet those lazy assclowns will value their lives if this will be implemented.

No comments: